Toyota Motor Sales, U.S.A., Inc. has announced that it will recall approximately 1.9 million Prius cars that have been sold worldwide. The news came in the form of an official Toyota Press Release on Wednesday.
This recall has been caused by a software problem within the Toyota Prius. According to their press release, “In rare circumstances, the hybrid system might shut down while the vehicle is being driven, resulting in the loss of power and the vehicle coming to a stop.” The second risk of the recall was described as, “a condition that can cause the Vehicle Stability Control, Anti-lock Brake, and Traction Control functions to intermittently turn off.” Pretty scary, right? We are happy to learn that there have been no reports of accidents or injuries associated with either condition. Toyota has a track record of recalling vehicles for even the slightest of faults, always placing customer safety as a priority.
Traditionally, the Toyota Prius is one of the highest viewed hybrid cars here at Carsforsale.com. With today’s news, we took an interest in the field of hybrid vehicles. It is clear that the field of competition is vastly growing in the world of hybrids!
Here’s a list of some of the other hybrid vehicles available at Carsforsale.com, with their associated gas mileage (In-City/Highway):
- Cadillac Escalade Hybrid – 20/23 MPG
- Chevrolet Tahoe Hybrid – 20/23 MPG
- Ford C-Max Hybrid – 47/47 MPG
- Ford Escape Hybrid – 34/31 MPG
- Ford Fusion Hybrid – 47/47 MPG
- GMC Yukon Hybrid – 20/23
- Honda Accord Hybrid – 50/45 MPG
- Honda Civic Hybrid – 44/44 MPG
- Honda Insight – 41/44 MPG
- Infiniti Q50 Hybrid – 29/36 MPG
- Lexus CT 200h Hybrid – 43/40 MPG
- Lincoln MKZ Hybrid – 45/45 MPG
- Nissan Altima Hybrid – 44/38 MPG
- Toyota Avalon Hybrid – 40/39 MPG
- Toyota Camry Hybrid – 43/38 MPG
- Toyota Highlander Hybrid – 28/28 MPG
- Volkswagen Jetta Hybrid – 42/48 MPG
And, finally, the Toyota Prius Liftback is advertised as receiving 51/48 MPG.
Check back with us as we continue to monitor the rising field of hybrid vehicles. What is your favorite hybrid?