Toyota Motor Corporation is recalling 6.5 million vehicles due to defective driver’s side window switches.
What We Know
- Of the 6.5 million recalled worldwide, 2.7 million of these vehicles are in the United States.
- The defective window switches and surrounding area can melt, overheat, or catch on fire.
- Lack of grease applied during manufacturing is the cause of these window switch malfunctions.
- Of the reported cases so far, 7 occurred in North America.
- Toyota has recalled vehicles for a similar problem 4 times since 2009.
Recalled vehicles include Toyota and Scion cars produces between January 2005 and December 2010. Specific models include:
- 2007 and 2009 Camry and Camry Hybrid
- 2009-2011 Corolla
- 2008-2011 Highlander and Highlander Hybrid
- 2009-2011 Matrix
- 2006-2011 RAV4
- 2009-2011 Sequoia
- 2009-2011 Tundra
- 2006-2010 Yaris
- 2009-2011 Scion xB
- 2009-2010 Scion xD
What You Should Do
At this time, the danger appears to be minimal, and cases are quite rare. If your vehicle is affected, you should receive notification from Toyota. To find our right now if your Toyota or Scion has been recalled, you can look up recall information using the NHTSA website.
Carsforsale.com will continue to monitor the situation and provide critical updates as they become available.