Dodge Durango Overview
From a truck-based and rugged mid-size SUV, to a sleek and modern full-sized SUV, the Dodge Durango has changed dramatically over only 3 generations. The Durango has been forced into rapid evolution to fit the unstable needs and desires of SUV buys over the last 2 decades. Today, Carsforsale.com is taking a look at the history of the legendary Dodge Durango through the years.
Dodge Durango Through the Years
1st Generation (1998 – 2003)
- Dodge released the Durango in 1998 as a mid-size SUV with the body-on-frame construction found in the Dodge Dakota.
- The first Durango could tow up to 7,500 lbs, and was only available with 4WD.
- A 5.2L V8 was the standard engine.
- In 1999, both 2WD and 4WD were available.
- Also in 1999, a 3.9L V6 was made available, and then eliminated in 2000.
- Also in 2000, the top Durango R/T came with a 5.9L V8.
- 2001 brought about significant interior improvements, with available features like premium audio and dual-zone climate control.
2nd Generation (2004 – 2009)
- The 2nd gen Dodge Durango was considered a full-size SUV after growing 2 inches wider, 3 inches taller, and 7 inches longer.
- A new coil-spring rear suspension was added.
- Engine options included a 3.7L V6, a 4.7L V8, and a 5.7L HEMI V8
- In 2007, the Durango received design tweaks on the grille, headlamps, and hood.
- Also in 2007, the Chrysler Aspen was introduced, the luxury cousin to the Dodge Durango.
- A 2-mode hybrid option was briefly available in 2009.
3rd Generation (2011 – )
- After a 2010 hiatus, the Durango returned in 2011 with a dramatic interior and exterior redesign.
- The only engines currently available are a standard 3.6L V6, and a HEMI 5.7L V8.
- The Durango is currently built on the same platform as the Jeep Grand Cherokee.
- Dodge gave its SUV a minor refresh in 2014, adding sportier lines, new LED “Racetrack” tail lights, an 8-speed automatic tranny, and more.
- Notable available features include, Blu-Ray & DVD system, 115V outlet, navigation, blind-spot monitors, power tailgate, power sunroof, 8.4-in touchscreen with UConnect, Nappa leather, heated steering wheel, heated and ventilated seats, and more.